Scott R Collier
Department of Exercise Science
Specialization: Cardiovascular Exercise Science.
Master of Science
Department of Exercise Science
Specialization: Exercise Endocrinology
Cortland State University
Bachelor of Science in Education.
Major: Physical Education, Teaching Certification
Clinical Cardiovascular Physiology
American College of Sports Medicine
American Heart Association
American Physiological Society
Organization for the Study of Sex Differences
Vascular remodeling and blood flow control associated with aerobic and resistance exercise training, along with acute and chronic alterations in the autonomic nervous system due to environmental (e.g. orthostatic challenges) challenges and pathological (e.g. hypertension) conditions. Current research projects include studies of sex differences on the effects of exercise mode on hemodynamic and vascular changes in a male and female pre-hypertensive and stage 1 hypertensive population and the role of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system in sex differences in vascular remodeling and kidney function in exercised animals.Selected Publications
Original Scientific Articles
1. Heffernan K, Baynard T, Goulopoulou S, Giannopoulou, I, Collier SR, Figueroa A, Fernhall B. Baroreflex Sensitivity During Static Exercise in Individuals with Down Syndrome. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 2005; 37(12): 2026-31
2. Figueroa A, Collier SR, Baynard T, Giannopoulou I, Goulopoulou S, Fernhall B. Impaired vagal modulation of heart rate in individuals with Down syndrome. Clinical Autonomic Research. 2005; 15(1): 45-50
3. Clark BC, Collier SR, Manini TM, Ploutz-Snyder LL. Sex differences in muscle fatigability and activation patterns of the human quadriceps femoris. European Journal of Applied Physiology. 2005; 94: (1-2): 196-206
4. Collier SR, Casey DP, Kanaley JA. Growth Hormone Responses to Varying Doses of Oral Arginine. Growth Hormone and IGF Research. 2005; 15 (2): 136-139
5. Fernhall B, Figueroa A, Collier SR, Baynard T, Giannopoulou I, Goulopoulou S. Blunted heart rate response to upright tilt in people with Down syndrome. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2005; 86(4): 813-8
6. Kanaley JA, Giannopoulou I, Collier SR, Ploutz-Snyder R, Carhart R Jr. Hormone-replacement therapy use, but not race, impacts the resting and exercise-induced GH response in postmenopausal women. European Journal of Endocrinology. 2005; 153(4): 527-33
7. Fernhall B, Figueroa A, Collier SR, Goulopoulou S, Giannopoulou I, Baynard T. Resting Metabolic Rate is Not Reduced in Obese Individuals with Down Syndrome. Mental Retardation. 2005; 43(6): 391-400
8. Heffernan K, Kelly E, Collier SR, Fernhall B. Cardiac autonomic modulation during recovery from acute endurance versus resistance exercise; European Journal of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation. 2006; 13(1): 80-86
9. Goulopoulou S, Figueroa A, Collier SR, Baynard T, Giannopoulou I, Fernhall B. Cardiac Autonomic Control in Individuals with Down Syndrome. American Journal of Mental Retardation. 2006; 111(1): 27-34
10. Unnithan VB, Kenne EM, Logan L, Collier SR, Turk M. The effect of partial body weight support on the energy cost of walking in children with spastic cerebral palsy; Pediatric Exercise Science. 2006 18: 11-21
11. Collier SR, Collins E, Kanaley JA. Oral Arginine Attenuates the Growth Hormone Response to Resistance Exercise. Journal of Applied Physiology. 2006; 101: 848-852
12. Collier SR, Manini TM, Tillotson JW. Predictors of Success In Exercise Physiology. The Mentor: An Academic Advising Journal, 2007; 9 (1). http://www.psu.edu/dus/mentor
13. Heffernan K, Collier SR, Kelly EE, Fernhall B. Arterial Stiffness and Baroreflex Sensitivity Following Bouts of Aerobic and Resistance Exercise. International Journal of Sports Medicine. 2007; 28 (3): 197-203
14. Collier SR. Sex differences in the effects of aerobic and anaerobic exercise on blood pressure and arterial stiffness. Gender Medicine. 2008; 5(2):115-23.
15. Collier SR, Kanaley JA, Carhart Jr., Frechette V, Tobin MM, Hall AK, Luckenbaugh AN, R., Fernhall B. Hemodynamic and vascular remodeling following aerobic compared to resistance training in hypertensive individuals. Journal of Human Hypertension. 2008; 22(10):678-86.
16. Collier SR, Kanaley JA, R. Carhart Jr., Frechette V, Tobin MM, Bennett N, Luckenbaugh AN, Fernhall B. Cardiac Autonomic Function and Baroreflex Changes Following 4 Weeks of Resistance Versus Aerobic Training in Individuals With Pre Hypertension. Acta Physiologica. 2009; 195(3):339-48
17. Fernhall B, Baynard T, Collier SR, Figueroa A, Goulopoulou S, Kamimori GH, Pitetti KH. Catecholamine Response to Maximal Exercise in Persons with Down Syndrome. American Journal of Cardiology. 2009; 103(5):724-6.
18. Heffernan KS, Sosnoff JJ, Ofori E, Jae SY, Baynard T, Collier SR, Goulopoulou S, Figueroa A, Woods JA, Pitetti KH, Fernhall B. Complexity of force output during static exercise in individuals with Down Syndrome. Journal of Applied Physiology. 2009; 106(4):1227-33
19. Agiovlasitis S, Collier SR, Baynard T, Echols GH, Goulopoulou S, Figueroa A, Beets MW, Pitetti KH, Fernhall B. Autonomic response to upright tilt in people with and without Down syndrome. Research in Developmental Disabilities. 2010; 31(3):857-63
20. Collier SR, Diggle, MM, Heffernan KS, Kelly EE, Tobin MM, Fernhall B. Changes in Arterial Distensibility and Flow Mediated Dilation Following Acute Resistance vs. Aerobic Exercise. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 2010; 24(10):2846-52
21. Kappus RM, Curry CD, McAnulty SM, Welsh J, Nieman DC, Collier SR. The effects of a multiflavanoid supplement on central blood pressure and arterial stiffness following acute exercise. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2011; 2 (1):0798.
22. Collier SR, Frechette V, Sandberg, K, Schafer P, Ji H., Smulyan H., Fernhall B. Sex Differences in resting hemodynamics and vascular stiffness following 4 weeks of exercise training. Biol Sex Differ. 2011; 2(1):9.
23. M Meucci, C Cook, CD Curry, L Guidetti, C Baldari, Collier SR. Effects of supervised exercise program on metabolic function in overweight adolescents. World Journal of Pediatrics; In Press
24. Marco Meucci, Chelsea D Curry, Carlo Baldari, Laura Guidetti, Carol Cook, Scott R Collier. Effect of play-based summer break exercise on cardiovascular function in adolescents. Acta Pediologica;
25. Collier SR, Landram MJ. Treatment of prehypertension: lifestyle and/or medication. Vascular Health and Risk Management; 2012; (8) 1-7
26. Collier SR. “Sex Differences in Exercise Responses.” Encyclopedia of Lifestyle Medicine and Health. Sage Publications Inc. Thousand Oaks, CA. 2011
27. Martens, B.K., & Collier SR. Developing fluent, efficient, and automatic repertoires of athletic performance. In J.K. Luiselli & D.R. Reed (Eds.), Behavioral sport psychology: Evidence-based approaches to performance enhancement. New York: Springer. 2011
28. Collier SR. “Sex Differences in Cardiovascular Disease and Physiological Responses to Exercise.” Lifestyle Medicine; Epidemiology of Lifestyle Related Diseases. 2nd Edition. Taylor and Francis Group/CRC Press. Boca Raton, FL. 2011
Published Books and Monographs
29. Collier SR. “The Cardiovascular Benefits of Exercise in Hypertensive Individuals” LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing AG & Co. Köln, Germany 2011
George Holmes Convocation Center
Appalachian State University
PO Box 32071
Boone, NC 28608
Department Chair: Dr. Paul Gaskill
Janet Moretz, Administrative Secretary: 3149
Brandy Cornett, Office Assistant: 3139
Magdalena Anoufriev: 3141
Debbie Arnette: 4021
Joshua Reese: 3048